Today we learned that pushing the buttons on this little white box is really scary.
It's our carbon monoxide detector. We don't really have a plug in near the garage that isn't covered by furniture, so we have it in a small hallway just inside the house from the garage. I was going to the restroom (TMI...sorry) and she was walking up and down this hall that is right next to our bathroom.In the past, she has shown interest in this, but has never really touched it (mostly because we sweep her away saying no every time she gets close). Well, since I was otherwise occupied, she took her chance to push the buttons and see what happens. Unfortunately (for her) she pushed the one that sets it off, rather than the one that beeps once as a test. So the detector is screeching, and she starts screaming and crying - just paralyzed sitting in front of it scared to death. Poor thing. On the upside, she'll probably stay away from it for a while now!
We recovered by getting distracted with puzzles.
The entire ordeal happened while she was toting her backpack around the house (a current favorite thing to do). Apparently having your backpack on your back is more fun when you have a purse on your shoulder as well!