Friday, October 14, 2011

Crocheting Fun!

One of the ladies at our church has started a fun new activity called Sit 'N Stitch.  The idea is to get women together to just hang out, drink coffee, and stitch (knit, crochet, sew...).  Some of the women are seasoned pros, while others of us (ah hem, Leah and I) are newbies who thought it would be fun to make fools out of ourselves and learn to crochet.  Little did we know that we'd actually enjoy it!

A few days before our first lesson, Evelyn and I headed to Hobby Lobby to get some yarn and crochet hooks.  Who knew there were 3 AISLES of yarn and about 20 different crochet hooks to choose from. I wish Leah would have been with me, because the two of us would have had some good laughs.  I enjoyed watching Evelyn, though.  She was mesmerized by all of the colors of yarn!

Here's Leah making her first stitch!
While we were crocheting at the coffee shop, I learned that I crochet very tightly.  Apparently that's my Type A personality showing through.  I had taken crochet with 4-H when I was little, but hated it.  I remember making a pot holder (I think my Mom still has it!).  I was pretty darn impressed with myself though.  However, the tight stitching apparently makes it difficult for a baby blanket to lay flat on the ground.  It was more so that I loosened up when I realized how hard it was to double crochet into a tight stitch!  So instead of getting 29 inches through a blanket that won't lay flat, I tied the first attempt off and started fresh.  But now Evelyn has a little scarf! :-)
Here's the current product - I doubled the length so that the blanket would be longer.  I've been averaging about a row a night after Evelyn goes down!

1 comment:

  1. The picture of her with the "scarf" is so hilarious! She is growing so fast.

    ReplyDelete