Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Lillian's Birth Story

We made it through the night - there were several times that I thought we should probably go in, but I figured letting Dan get a good night's sleep in our own bed was a good idea.  I wasn't sleeping much, but it was nice to be in my bed when I could fall asleep.  We had everything packed and ready to go and headed to the hospital around 5:30am. 
Last 'bump' picture (ever)...hours before she came!
The official Wisdom Family Pool...
Gavin thought the game was dumb...so he didn't guess...
When we got to the hospital, I was about 5 1/2 cm - which was a little depressing after contracting all night and being 5cm yesterday afternoon!  They started pitocin around 8:15am.  She waited to break my water because Lillian was still pretty high and hadn't dropped, but around 9:45 I was 6cm and she had moved down, so she broke my water.  It was go time at that point - the contractions got much more intense and closer together...Dan had the nail marks in his hands to prove it.  I asked for an epidural at 10:50am (and was 7cm then). :-)  Around 11:30am, I was 9cm and could feel her starting to bear down (I asked the anesthesiologist to give me enough drugs to deaden it a little, but not so much that I couldn't feel anything).  About 10 minutes later, I was officially 10cm and ready to go.  Lillian was pushing down into the birth canal and her heart rate was dropping, so they had me on oxygen to be sure she was getting enough.  The entire time we sat waiting, I kept telling Dan, "she's coming - I can feel her, they better hurry up!"  The nurse wanted me to start pushing and said they would call Dr. Nowitzky when her head was visible.  That took all of me getting into position and barely starting to push.  About 2 seconds after she told me to push, she told me to stop (right...you stop, lady!).  Dr. Nowitzky came shortly after, and Lillian was born at 12:17pm.  I believe it took 2 big pushes, one for her head and one for her shoulders.  I wanted to shout - I told you people I could do this! :-)
Welcome to our world, Lillian!
(pardon the plethora of pictures you are about to scroll through...)
Meeting Mommy...
9 pounds, 5 ounces
All clean!
I'm tired guys!  (with Dr. Nowitzky)
Beaming Daddy!
Our second little princess!
I love you, baby girl...I'm so glad you are finally here!
Everything was great for both she and I.  Her blood sugar was normal at birth (one of the potential effects of gestational diabetes is that the baby has very low blood sugar), and mine returned to normal shortly after delivery.  Peace out, diabetes!  I enjoyed a delicious cheeseburger and fries while waiting to be moved to our postpartum room.  Lillian nursed for a good hour after birth - we've been praying that she would be a good eater after having so many troubles with Evelyn.  So far, so good!  We finally got into our room around 2:30pm and decided to sleep for a little while since Evelyn was napping at home.  I didn't sleep much because I was so swollen from the IV that I was uncomfortable - but I did get to love on this sweet baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment