Monday, April 11, 2011

A Weekend with Emily and Tim

One of my best friends, Emily, came into town last weekend!!  We had such a fun time catching up in person and spending time with our buddy Tim McGraw.  She flew in on Friday afternoon, so we dropped her things off at the house and quickly headed out for dinner and the concert.  When we were getting onto the main road to take us to the concert venue (for your Corpus people, merging onto Crosstown from SPID), Em asks me, "You have the tickets, right?"  Ummmm, let's just go south on Crosstown instead of north real quick.  So we took another quick trip by the house to grab the tickets, then officially headed downtown.  I haven't been downtown in a while, and I was super sad to see that both the Mexican restaurant and the burger joint I was going to take her to for dinner were now closed.  Sad!  So I took her to the original Whataburger instead!  She has now joined the ranks of those who have experienced a time honored Texas tradition.  (In reality, I think McDonalds is way better than Whataburger...so have no fear, you aren't missing out!)

After dinner we headed to the concert venue.  The Band Perry and Luke Bryan opened for Tim - loved the Band Perry, wasn't real impressed with Luke Bryan.  Pretty much every song was about drinking, driving, and driving while drinking.  Neat, buddy.  But, then Tim came on!!  Our seats were in the back of the venue, near the floor (perfect pregnant lady seats - since Em and I are both expecting - on the aisle and the bathrooms were close by!), but the stage sort of weaved it's way around the floor.  This was especially cool because Tim actually opened the show about 10 yards from us at the back of the venue!

Here's a shot of how close he was!
(totally stole this from Em...because mine didn't turn out as good)
The concert was so good - he sang a good mix of old and new - and really, what Tim song isn't good?!

Here's our self-portrait from the show
(again, stolen from Em, because I always mooch pictures off people when they take them instead of taking my own!)

On Saturday we slept in - which isn't anything new for this pregnant lady on a Saturday morning - but for Em with 3 beautiful daughters at home, I'm sure it was glorious!  Once we woke up, we headed to the beach!  The last time the Nyes visited, our beach day was AWFUL.  It was seriously the worst day I have ever been at the beach.  Picture a Saudi Arabian desert with sand blowing in every direction - then having to clean that sand out of every crevice for about 2 weeks (but you put sunscreen on, so it sticks to your skin, making said cleaning nearly impossible!).  Fortunately, Saturday was NOT like that day!  It was gorgeous - about 90 degrees with wind coming straight off the water, so it felt much cooler.  I'm hoping our Texas beach has, at least somewhat, redeemed itself!  The only bad thing is we both ended up with really odd sunburns that ended up blistering and were really painful.  I guess at least we didn't have that bad of a burn all over, just in weird small places!

Em and I on the beach, with a little seaweed in the backdrop!
(again, stolen picture!)

And a nice preggo shot on the beach...hoping my daughter will appreciate this some day!
(and this picture was actually my own!)

Saturday night Dan joined us and we went to dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in town.  Those of you who have come to visit, have definitely been taken to La Playa!  I was stoked because my favorite burrito didn't cause my blood glucose levels to go high! :-)  After dinner we went to see the movie Soul Surfer, which was incredible!  I bawled through about half of it (fortunately so did Em, so I didn't feel so bad).  Dan really enjoyed watching it with two sobbing pregnant women! :-)

Her last night in town...we had to wait for a while after the movie so our eyes wouldn't be red and splotchy!
(yes...stolen picture!)


Thanks so much for coming, Em, it was such a memorable weekend!!  I'm so sad that we live so far apart now, but am glad that we are still a big part of each other's lives!  And I hope you get your boots in a couple of months! :-)

1 comment:

  1. See, and I left out the stories about you forgetting the tickets and trying to take me to closed restaurants! :-) I had such a great time visiting, but I'm ready for you to move "home" now!

    ReplyDelete